Monday, March 10, 2008

Tapas at Bocadillos

Bocadillos, Gerald Hirigoyen's casual and warm tapas spot between the Financial District and North Beach, is a great spot to pop into and relax and unwind while enjoying a nice glass of wine and a few small plates. The menu is a nice range of bites to more hearty dishes and ranges from delicious fried Fish Sticks to Oxtail "Tempranillo" to Warm Octopus with confit potatoes and piquillos. Several of us stopped by before going to a play in the Financial District and really enjoyed the meal and the ambiance. The space is small with a bar area toward the rear and sturdy, wood tables sprinkled throughout. The vibe is rustic yet inviting and the warm-colored walls and dim lighting add to the mood nicely. The wine list is interesting and well-suited for the food. I had a nice dry white wine from the RĂ­as Bajas which is in the region of Galicia. The nose was nicely floral and on the palate the wine was crisp and refreshing. For food, we started with Seared Ahi Tuna with a citrus salad and avocado relish. The tuna was perfectly rare and the citrus notes really complemented the briny fish. We also had 18 month Serrano Ham, Patatas Bravas with a creamy and delicious romesco sauce, a Mixed Fields Greens Salad with sherry vinaigrette, and Chilled Prawns with "Huevos Diablo," guindillas and pimenton. I particularly enjoyed the prawns atop the deviled eggs which had a gorgeous, smooth and slightly spicy flavor. At $2.50 each they are a steal. The Patatas Bravas were crisp and delicious as well and instead of the usual cubed shape the potatoes were cut into substantial slices which worked well in the dish. One item we didn't get but that I can't wait to try is the Fried Brussel Sprouts with serrano ham and pears. Brussel sprouts are so wonderful when cooked properly and I think it's great they have appeared on many menus in the area. There is also a choice of around 8 sweet dishes which include Warm Chocolate Cake with banana ice cream, Kefir Yogurt with huckleberry compote, and Macaroons 'Luzien' with pistachio ice cream. If you haven't had a chance to try Bocadillos yet I hope you make an occasion to stop by and enjoy the warm ambiance and tasty treats.

Bocadillos
710 Montgomery Street in San Francisco

3 comments:

Shannon said...

Hi Leah,

My name is Shannon and I'm the editorial assistant at Foodbuzz.com. Following up on a recent email invitation to be a part of our newly launched Foodbuzz Featured Publisher program, I just want to reiterate that I am very impressed with the quality of your posts. I would love to send you more details about the program, so if you are interested, please email me at Shannon@foodbuzz.com.

I have only been to Bocadillos a few times and really enjoyed it, both times.

Cheers!

Shannon Eliot
Editorial Assistant, Foodbuzz.com
shannon@foodbuzz.com

Anonymous said...

As of today, a cocktail is a lovely drink that contains at least one type of spirit and at least one type of mixer (fruit juice or soda). More about cocktail at http://cocktails.com

Anonymous said...

I expected a lot as I flick around its pages, I was contemplating that I would learn many new recipes and techniques in cookery, but then it was a letdown.  As I watched the videos featured in this site, I feel so puzzled. I am so hard up in following the instructions; is it in English or French. Something is just missing; the layouts and presentations are a little gloomy. It made me feel like I just wasted my time browsing this website. I recommend that you add some design and presentation to be more engaging and update the site frequently.  http://su.pr/1e0Kp7